2022 Great Lakes Islands Summit
October 2 - 5, 2022
The Great Lakes Islands Summit (October 2 - 5, 2022; Registration closed on September 16, 2022) is being jointly hosted by the Lake Erie Islands of Kelleys, Middle Bass, Pelee, and South Bass. South Bass Island (also known as Put-in-Bay) will be the anchor island. We are excited to have a full agenda (coming soon!) that includes visiting five islands (the four previous ones listed plus Gibraltar Island) and discussing critical issues including infrastructure, tourism, land conservation, and water quality. The $100 registration fee includes your meals and all transportation between islands for the event. The event will begin at 5pm on Sunday, October 2 with reception and dinner, and conclude on Wednesday at 4:30pm. Any island residents are welcome to attend. The annual summit also serves as the member meeting of the Great Lakes Islands Alliance (GLIA), a bi-national network of Great Lakes island communities.
The agenda will include a keynote presentation on Monday morning followed by a morning tour of South Bass Island and then an afternoon tour of Middle Bass Island with lunch there. Tuesday events will include a morning tour of Gibraltar Island and an afternoon tour of Kelleys Island, with lunch there. Wednesday we are planning a tour to Pelee Island if possible. A more detailed agenda will be available soon.
Registration closed on September 16, 2022.
The 2022 GLIA Summit host committee seeks sponsors and donors to support the 4th Annual Great Lakes Islands Summit!
was held on February 24, 2022 and featured Kate Tagai of the Island Institute in Maine
speaking about their development of a leadership framework for islands
and the successes they have had with it. Click on the above image to view it.
The Great Lakes Islands Alliance encourages relationship building, fosters information exchange, and leverages resources to address shared challenges and embrace opportunities to benefit islands.
HEALTHY, SUSTAINABLE ISLAND COMMUNITIES.
Links for information and registration for the Fall, 2022 Islands Summit will be available early in 2022. The summit will be based on
South Bass Island in Lake Erie.
While present-day island communities are uniquely distinct from one another in character, traditions, and geography, they share a number of complex, inter-related challenges, including: access to public services and quality education; supporting a diversified economy; managing natural, cultural, and historical resources across public and private boundaries; and changing demographics (size, age, seasonality, ownership, economic status, etc.).
These challenges are hurdles, not immovable barriers. In fact, some island communities have already independently developed their own “island solutions to island challenges.” Island communities are finding they often have more in common with one another than to their adjacent mainland. There is great value in islanders learning from other islanders about best practices that work, as well as those that don’t.
GLIA In the News
- 05/2022 Great Lakes Islands Alliance seeks Manitoulin members
- 04/2022 Washington Island Observer: GLIA project manager visits Island - Goal is to visit all 19 GLIA member Islands
- 03/2022 Washington Island Observer: Free webinar features bird conservation strategies for Great Lakes
- 03/2022 Webinar: Building Leadership to Strengthen Island Community Resilience
- 08/2021 Press Release Aug. 4, 2021: GLIA hires project manager, announces Island Summit Oct. 3-6
- 12/2020 GLIA's Lake Erie Islands History Presentation for The Stewardship Network (Video)
- 12/2019 Third Annual Great Lakes Islands Alliance Summit
- 12/2019 Accent: Sudbury's Impact on Lake Huron (Hint: It's Major)
- 11/2019 Great Lakes islanders find common concerns
- 11/2019 Island summit on Mackinac “was great”
- 9/2019 Last of summer’s monarch butterflies wing way south across Lake Huron
- 8/2019 Sudbury Accent: The ‘eyes and ears’ of the Great Lakes ecosystem
- 11/2018 Manitoulin Island and the new Great Lakes Islands Alliance
The monthly GLIA call on April 1, 2020 was dedicated to sharing coronavirus information (status, good ideas, specific challenges) from each island. GLIA members from each community were asked to provide an informal, 5-10 min update. Note: with a few exceptions, the summaries below are not a verbatim, nor are they intended to represent a full or formal or fully vetted record from each island community. Please contact GLIA leads from each island for clarifications.
Learn more about our partner islands.
- Beaver Island, MI
- Bois Blanc Island, MI
- Drummond Island, MI
- Harsens Island, MI - Also see the video Fall on Harsen's Island
- Howe Island, ON (in the Frontenac Islands) has just joined the alliance and will soon have its own page here.
- Kelleys Island, OH
- Les Cheneaux Islands, MI
- Mackinac Island, MI
- Madeline Island, WI
- Manitoulin Island, ON
- Middle Bass Island, OH - Also see the video A Middle Bass Island Visit
- Neebish Island, MI
- Pelee Island, ON - Also see the video Adventure on Pelee Island
- St. Joseph Island, ON has just joined the alliance and will soon have its own page here.
- Simcoe Island, ON (in the Frontenac Islands) has just joined the alliance and will soon have its own page here.
- South Bass Island, OH
- Sugar Island, MI has just joined the alliance and will soon have its own page here.
- Washington Island, WI - Also see the video Changing Seasons- Visiting Washington Island, Wisconsin
- Wolfe Island, ON (in the Frontenac Islands) will soon have its own page here. - Also see the video Visiting Wolfe Island
Resources & Webinar
- Find actionable steps to island challenges in the Island Institute's What Works Solutions Library
- Make connections and exchange information at islandscoalition.slack.com
- Check out the Great Lakes Islands Community Resource Directory.
Webinar: Great Lakes Water Levels 101
Learn about Great Lakes water levels from one of the leading experts in the region, Andrew Gronewold, PhD, PE, physical scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)–Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory and adjunct professor at the University of Michigan.
2019 Great Lakes Islands Basketball Tournament
The tournament was held on Dec. 6-7, 2019 on Mackinac Island. Teams were from Washington Island (Lake Michigan), Mackinac Island (Lake Huron), South Bass Island (Lake Erie) and Beaver Island (Lake Michigan).
Steering Committee Chair and Webmaster
Great Lakes Islands Alliance
Great Lakes Islands Alliance
Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy
Great Lakes Islands Alliance
C/O The Stewardship Network
416 Longshore Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48105